Etsy Reviews: 2023 Guide on How to Write a Review on Etsy
“Why can't I leave a review on Etsy?" "How to leave a review on Etsy?" "How to leave a review on Etsy without words"... If you’re having trouble with the Etsy feedback system (especially as a beginner) , here is a guide for you.
Please scroll down and read on.
4 Things You Must Know Before Writing A Review on Etsy
#1 Only verified customers can write reviews on Etsy
To protect the integrity of the Etsy system, anonymous reviews are not available on Etsy.
So, as a guest without an account or a buyer without purchase, you won’t be able to write a review on Etsy. Meanwhile, there isn't a way to leave a review privately —— the buyer's Etsy account and name will show up in the public reviews.
If you purchase an item as a guest, but have issues with the order. What to do next? Sign in to Etsy, then claim the order to your current or new Etsy account. Once it's verified, you will be able to write a review as you like.
#2 An Etsy review includes three types of contents
- Star Rating: Buyers can leave a review of 5 stars or fewer. Besides, the buyers using Etsy app for iOS are allowed to provide a star rating for Item Quality, Shipping, and Seller Customer Service.
- Words: It's to describe the item and/or the service you received. If you are on Etsy.com, there is a five-word minimum for your review. If you are on the Etsy app, there is no word minimum.
- Picture: Etsy only allows pictures on a 5-star review, and they let the seller decide if they want it displayed, rather than have to petition Etsy to remove it.
#3 Writing a review on Etsy is not always available
On Etsy, product reviews must be delivered within 100 days that begins after the estimated delivery date. After the given time, the review will be locked in and it can’t be edited or deleted.
Moreover, there are two situations that may explain why someone cannot leave a review on Etsy.
- If the order has an open case, a review cannot be updated.
- If the shop seller responds to a review, the review will be automatically locked in and no longer allowed to be edited.
#4 Step-by-step guide to writing a review on Etsy
Here are steps to write a review on Etsy:
- Step 1: Sign in to Etsy.com and Etsy app
- Step 2: Go to Your account/ You, click Purchases and reviews
- Step 3: Find the item you want to review, click Review this item
- Step 4: Insert your review and click Post Your Review on Etsy.com, or tap Submit on the Etsy app.
And steps to edit or delete the review on Etsy:
- Step 1: Tap Purchases and reviews
- Step 2: Find the order and select Edit review
- Step 3: Change your star rating and words as needed.
- Step 4: Click Post Your Review on Etsy.com, or tap Submit on the Etsy app.
FAQs about How To Write A Review On Etsy
The feedback system is an important part of the shopping process. It not only helps the buyer make the right decision but also urges the seller to continuously improve their service. As a buyer, you should be careful with your vote.
1. Will Etsy prompt me to leave a review?
After logging in to Etsy, you may see a review prompt on your account page. Sometimes Etsy will highlight those purchases for which you can still leave a review.
2. Why can’t I leave a review on Etsy?
The reason could be:
- you need to log in Etsy.com/ Etsy app instead of shopping as a guest.
- the order has an open case. If you’ve already made a review, you can’t edit it until the case is closed.
- the review is closed because of the 100-day period.
- the shop seller responds to your review, so the review is locked.
3. Where can I leave a review for a product on Etsy?
Go to the "Purchases and Reviews" page, then you can find the option to leave a review on the product you wish to compliment.
4. Do I have to leave a positive review or a 5-star review?
It's up to you. You can choose to ignore review reminders. If you write a review, no matter you are satisfied or not, the review will help the seller to improve their service.
5. What should I say in my Etsy review?
Be honest about your feedback. You can say anything you want, but no insulting language. You can also share photos (optional) to your comments by clicking on the camera symbol.
6. Can buyers really trust reviews and feedback on Etsy?
As you may know, read carefully before evaluating a shop’s reputation. Etsy has done a lot to prevent fake reviews, however, untrustworthy reviews can appear. Some customers will leave less-than-truthful bad or positive reviews, perhaps simply because they received a refund or extra allowance from the shop owner.
7. What if a seller asks me to change my review on Etsy?
This is a very controversial issue. Etsy allows customers to change their star ratings and reviews within the first 100 days of posting their first review, so sellers can try to fix it. If the seller does impress you, you can use the moderation right. If the seller continues to annoy you, it's best to turn a blind eye and focus on your own life.
8. Can the shop owner have my review removed?
According to Etsy policy, both customers and sellers are unable to delete reviews. The exception is Etsy shop owners can choose to show the review photos or not.
We all know that reviews are essential to every online business. The reality is that some people may leave positive reviews and others may give negative reviews. As a seller, you need to know how to properly handle all kinds of feedback.
1. How to deal with a negative review on Etsy?
As you may know, you can:
- report it to Etsy if you think it was inappropriate or aggressive
- contact the buyer to change it
- answer the review publically and politely
Obviously, the great way is to try and change buyers’ minds by providing excellent customer service after a bad review —— connect the buyer with apologies and kind words to fix the situation.
2. Can you hide reviews on Etsy?
You can't hide the entire review, but you can hide photos if a customer posts inappropriate or misleading content.
For example, if a customer buys a necklace but uploads a picture of a bag, do the following:
- Go to your reviews
- Click “Hide this photo from Buyer’s link” under that photo review
3. How long do reviews stay on Etsy?
Product reviews will stay on Etsy forever if no user changes their reviews. However, these reviews will only affect the shop's overall star rating for the past 12 months. Because Etsy wants to remain current and ensure that each shop gets a fair rating. This means that you can strive for a higher rating by improving your service.
4. How to ask for reviews on Etsy?
The most effective way to generate new reviews is to send messages to buyers.
While some customers may actively write reviews for your products, you can help spark potential submissions by sending review requests directly to your customers.
Before sending a message to your customers, be sure to keep the following best practices in mind.
- Choose the best time: The ideal time to ask is shortly after a customer has made a purchase and had a positive customer experience with the product or service. It is recommended that the inquiry be made within one to two weeks after the customer has had the opportunity to use the product.
- Personalize the message: Address your customer by name.
- Make it easy for customers: Include a link to the product page you are requesting a review on.
- Keep it short: You don't want to overwhelm your customers with lengthy requests.
💡 For a more comprehensive guide, please read on Etsy Message to Buyers Examples: how can an effective message be sent to buyers?
How EstyHunt Can Help You Get More Reviews
We continuously monitor millions of Etsy shops to help you analyze and optimize your Etsy rankings. Our Etsy Follow-up Reminder will help you automatically manage the shop reviews. You can bulk export Etsy customer emails or find templates on how to ask for a review —— so you can boost your business by getting more great reviews.